Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

Doctor Sleep
 
 
 
by Stephen King
 
Did you ever wonder what happened to the little boy from The Shining, Danny Torrance? Well I did and it looks like Stephen King did too. Because he is back and all grown up with the weight of all he has been through on his shoulders. 
King has done it again. This book scared the Hell out of me. It is a fitting sequel to The Shining. Doctor Sleep had me looking over my shoulder for the monsters, afraid to go outside after dark and leery of strangers. It made me afraid of every noise I heard at night when I was awake late reading it. Scared to read, but so anxious to know what was going to happen next, that I couldn't put it down. I loved it. This novel has me wondering if there is not more to the most horrendous crimes we hear about than meets the eye. Maybe the non-human monsters are responsible for many or most of them. 
 If you have something that makes you stand out, like the shining, doesn't make sense that there could be monsters that can see it? If these monsters can feed from the shining, would it matter to them what they have to do to get it? After all, they are monsters.
Facts of Doctor Sleep: These monsters truly are EVIL and they are very old.  The monsters run in a pack they call the True Knot, but they look like everybody else. The shining is the strongest in children. A young teenage girl, Abra have the shine, strong enough that it is like a lighthouse beacon and she knows about the True Knot. Abra has seen in her visions what these creatures are capable of. The monsters can only get "the steam" they fed on from these children that have the shining by torture and death. The True Knot knows that Abra sees them and they can’t allow this.  Danny Torrance, Abra and their friends are destined to try and stop the evil creatures and guess where the showdown has to be. That’s right, the home of Danny’s nightmares. The Overlook Hotel maybe gone, but not its poison.
This book corrupted my reading ability for over a week. I didn't want to start another book, because I kept thinking about this one.
The only regrets I have about this book is that it had to end and I only have two thumbs to give it thumbs up with. It takes a lot for a book, story or movie to scare me. Well played Stephen, very well played. Now do it again soon. Evil laugh (Ma haw ha ha ha).
 


No comments:

Post a Comment